Ethical Theory Classical and Contemporary Works
Louis P. Pojman (Wadsworth Publishing Company: October, 1997)
An up-to-date and comprehensive anthology in ethical theory. The presentation of each problem progresses from the classical to the contemporary, usually treating it in a dialectic (pro and con) form, so you can watch the debate unfold before your eyes. "This introductory textbook describes the historical schools, major problems, and current trends concerning the study of ethics. Selections from key philosophers cover topics like relativism and objectivism, egoism, value, utilitarianism, deontology, virtue, metaethics, skepticism, religion, sociobiology, feminism, and determinism. Representing the span of the Western canon, selections are drawn from the ancient, modern, and post-modern periods." ~ Booknews
Table of Contents
- 1. What is Ethics?
- 2. Ethical Relativism versus Ethical Objectivism.
- 3. Ethical Egotism, Altruism, and Evolution.
- 4. Value.
- 5. Utilitarianism.
- 6. Kantian and Deontological Systems.
- 7. Virtue-Based Ethical Systems.
- 8. The Fact/Value Problem: Metaethics in the Twentieth Century.
- 9. Moral Realism and the Challenge of Skepticism.
- 10. Morality and Self-Interest.
- 11. Religion and Ethics.
- 12. Justice.
- 13. Rights.
A Glossary of Ethical Terms.